Recruiting the Best & Brightest for a Unique Opportunity
A central component of UNLV’s NITEP strategy is the establishment of a fellowship program for undergraduate students, which will provide both financial rewards to fellows and distinct leadership opportunities that are not typically available to undergraduate education students. Our goal is to enlist promising scholars into teaching, to prepare them in an environment that demands constant innovation, and to ready them for advanced leadership opportunities throughout their careers.
NITEP has three principal goals:
Goal 1: Support Pre-Service Teachers – Recruit and develop future educational leaders, providing them with skills that will support a Nevada specific landscape.
Goal 2: Community Engagement – Create sustainable programing through high quality professional development fostering culturally sustaining community connections.
Goal 3: Support Educational Research – Provide research evidence to address teacher education through faculty-led and NITEP fellow supported research mini-grants.
Who is eligible to become a NITEP Fellow?
Those who have:
- A competitive high school cumulative grade point average
- Innovative and critical thinking skills
- A strong desire to be an educator in the K-12 system
Stipend: $25,000 in total
- Freshman $2,500
- Sophomore $5,000
- Junior $7,500
- Senior $10,000
Other Perks and Benefits
From the start of the program, students receive
- Financial packages to help offset tuition.
- Direct mentorship from education practitioners, faculty members, researchers, and community constituents.
- Hands-on training to challenge students to view teacher education through multiple lenses.